39. Drive. Speed when you’re driving in the express lanes. They are the best thing about the Kennedy and the Dan Ryan.
Especially the Kennedy (I 90). If traffic is light and you have the option of the locals or the express, you best speed if you choose the latter. What’s the point if you’re not going to speed. There’s only 1 spot in that 8 mile stretch where a county mounty can sit and ticket you, but they can be seen from a literal mile away.
Speed if you opt for the express lanes. Otherwise you’re just in the way. You wouldn’t stand in the center of an escalator blocking people that want to walk past you on the left. Who would do that.?
Same thing on the highway. If you’re just going to la de da it down the road then stay in the locals and out of my way. I’ve got shit to do.
36.5. Drive. Let’s make today a two-fer. This will also be the first time I’ve revisited a previous post. This one harkens back to Month 1 of this blog and I feel like none of you are listening.
THERE IS NO NEED TO EVER SLOW DOWN WHEN DRIVING OVER A SEGMENT OF ROAD AS SEEN ABOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Never ever ever bether nether clever pleather smether heather ever ever.
If I had a nickel for every time I’ve seen a mile long back up because people hit the brakes and creep over a patch like this I would…… fuck off. Just stop doing it please.
27. Drive. When merging into thick expressway traffic from an on-ramp, pick out a car in front of you that’s trying to do the same thing. Let them do your dirty work for you. Once she’s fought her car into traffic pull in front of her and do the same thing. She just did it so chances are she’ll let you in no problem and you don’t need to deal with all the angry drivers behind you. Let’s call it merge guilt.
Welcome to February (best month of the year).
5. Drive. Want to avoid every red light camera ticket for the rest of your life? Simple. When approaching an intersection turn your attention to the oncoming pedestrian crossing sign. Almost all intersections now give you a giant orange countdown to when your traffic light will turn yellow. Ideal for knowing when to gun it and go for it or when to hit the brakes. If your car’s front tires enter the intersection (which is usually designated with a thick white stripe) anytime before that light turns red, no ticket can be issued. Watch those timers and you’re welcome.
No timers at your intersection? Then quickly look to see if there’s a red light camera. They are big and black and in the same location at every intersection. Don’t see them? Then breeze on through wary of cross traffic commencing.
Warning, this is where that karma thing may come into play.
Last tip for January…
4. Drive. This one is simple. Do not block intersections. Sometimes it’s tough as we space out behind the wheel, but if you’re creeping along pay attention to more than just the car in front of you. If you see traffic is stopped ahead try to leave 20 feet between you and the car in front of you so that cross traffic can get through if the stoplight changes. Getting stuck in the middle of an intersection when cross traffic gets the green light is the cardinal sin of city driving. Get the big picture. Isn’t that what this blog is really about. Get the big picture! That may mean stopping at the intersection’s entrance even with a green light because you can’t get completely through it. I know, I know. You’re stopped at a green light. It’s going to freak you out, but you can do it. Do not enter the intersection if you cannot get all the way through it!
1. Drive. We all know the old adage, 2 seasons in Chicago…winter and construction. It’s true. Most people probably think of construction on the expressways, but from April to November every side street I drive on is being resurfacing. When approaching a small patch of road construction mainly where the intersection has been carved down by 2 to 3 inches there is no need to slow down to 5 mph. Tires are incredibly rugged. They will be fine. Drive right over knocks in the road like a motherfucker. Especially, ESPECIALLY if you are in an SUV. It is an SUV for God’s sake. It was designed to do this. It yearns to do this. Drive over road defects at the speed limit with authority! Keep traffic moving.